Sunday, July 29, 2007

Weekend Posting

If you have a blog which receives comments regularly and post fairly often, you soon notice that comments drop off greatly on the weekends. For those out there who bother to track the number of hits they get (I don't), I'm sure that there are actual numbers to back up the fact that fewer people spend their time on the Internet on weekends and blogs get fewer visits.

That's not to say that weekend posts don't get read because I'm sure that Monday morning procrastination at work allows for ample opportunity to catch up but it does make me feel less compelled to put something up on weekends unless I'm chomping at the bit to do so. It's not that I don't have something to say because I almost always have something to say. It's more a matter of weekends tend to be busier than weekdays (except Wednesday which seems to be a smoking hot day for private lessons) and it's easy to just not put out the extra energy on the weekend.

For me, posting generally isn't some quick dash and send though I'll admit it is on occasion. It's usually a long slow walk around the topic and an attempt to view it from different angles in the hopes of offering a balanced view. This is followed by a spell-check and at least one proofread most of the time and sometimes a re-write. You can see why spending energy on posting on the busiest work days of the week would be a little hard under those circumstances.

Saturday and Sunday are also the only working days that my husband and I have any time to speak of together so the time is more precious. At present, my husband works from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm on Wednesday and Thursday and 1:00 to 10:00 pm on Friday. Since he gets up early enough for a swim before work, our evening schedule on those three days is usually spent cramming down dinner shortly after he walks in the door at 10:40, washing up, and getting ready for bed by midnight. That's a scant 90 minutes of time each night on those days. I should note that he chooses to work those 11 hour days so that he can make a bit more money for us while I "convalesce" and work only about 1/4 of a normal work week from home. This isn't one of those cases where a Japanese company is slave-driving him without extra pay.

On Saturday and Sunday, his schedule is 10:00 am - 6:20 pm so it feels like a real evening where we can actually interact meaningfully and enjoy each other's company after three days of "deprivation". Of course, we do have a "real weekend" on Monday and Tuesday where he has the whole day off but that time just seems to fly, especially with real world business day obligations like banking, bill paying, and appeasing the bureaucratic beast with offerings of properly filled out forms horning in on that time.

In my previous post, I talking about breaking out of habits and I'm thinking of simply not posting at all on Saturday and Sunday because I might be better off spending that time doing other things. Also, since I know other people are likely out there living their lives rather than vegetating in front of their machines (and good for them, I say), posting on the weekend is a bit like showing a movie that only a few people are watching.

2 comments:

Miko said...

That's a very nice husband you've got there, he's working hard to keep you in the style to which you have become accustomed! I sure hope you appreciate it.

As for (not) posting on weekends, well, just do whatever feels right and don't pressure yourself - your hardcore fans will stick around anyway.

Shari said...

He's wonderful and I tell him so everyday (literally). Fortunately, the style I'm accustomed to is pretty low key. Neither my husband nor I are recreational or casual spenders. In fact, I endeavor constantly to spend as little as possible and adopt a simplified and modest lifestyle so we can save for the future or he could work less should he choose to do so.

My husband is doing for me what I did for him some time back. After about 6 years at his first job in Japan, he started having persistent health problems, particularly with asthma, and I encouraged him to quit and be a househusband. I worked full-time and he worked part-time or temporarily for the better part of 10 years and now the tables have turned. However, he's working harder than I ever did. He's a complete gem in every way!