Monday, May 21, 2007

Chaos

Today is the day my husband heads off to the U.S. to visit his family for a week. Those who have been following know the potential wrenches in the works started with an expired passport discovered a little over three weeks before his departure time. Last night, another bit of a tangle threatened to snag up the works.


Upon returning home last night, my husband said he felt like he had a cold coming on, mainly due to a sore throat. Being an English teacher and one that works many hours at that, sore throats aren't exactly uncommon but he was also pretty fatigued. We went to bed good and early and I fell asleep quickly, as I often do. My husband always falls asleep after me but I woke up in the middle of the night to find him shivering and closing windows. He didn't have a fever at that time but had one at some point during the night. After asking if there was anything I could do, I went back to sleep.

In the end, he seemed to get it all out of his system overnight but didn't get much sleep (only about 4 hours) and still has the sore throat. It wasn't the best way to start off a long trip from Japan to San Francisco and his family suggested he consider canceling for now and coming some other time but he decided to go anyway because he feels sufficiently recovered and there are a variety of complicated factors to consider if he were to reschedule (not the least of which is getting the time off at some later date).

Now that he's on his way, I feel rather at loose ends. As those who follow what I write and know me are already aware of, I'm unusually strongly attached to my husband, particularly for someone who has been married for 18 years. Even a small apartment can feel empty when you know no one else is going to be around for a week.

Anyway, if everyone who wished us well when the passport situation occurred could send a little positive energy toward my husband having a safe journey, I'd be very grateful.

No comments: